Dissection room technician job at KINGS COLLEGE LONDON
The Education Center within the Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine focuses on improving the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research programs of the faculty.
We are looking for a Dissection Room Technician to work as part of a team of technical staff providing hands-on teaching support on Campus Guy. The incumbent will participate in general tasks such as cleaning laboratories, autoclaving, waste and washing of laboratory coats, as well as the preparation of donated human bodies, embalming, freezing, sectioning and physical preparation of the funeral in accordance with the Human Tissue Act. .
Undergraduate hands-on anatomy teaching experience in a dissection room environment would be an advantage, but full training will be provided.
This position will be offered on a permanent contract
This is a full time position – 100% full time equivalent
- Technical support for teaching practical work, preparation of donated human bodies, embalming, freezing, sectioning and physical preparation for funerals in accordance with the license of the Human Tissue Law Authority.
- Assist and be involved in other ongoing projects, inside and outside the dissection room.
- Administrative tasks such as reservations, invoicing, inquiries, etc.
- Assist with general technical tasks such as autoclaving and washing lab coats.
- Engage in continuing professional development and training initiatives, in accordance with the Technician and Research Engagement Concordat for a minimum of 10 prorated days per year
- Maintain service facilities by ensuring efficient use of resources, installing, maintaining and securing technical equipment systems and software and controlling associated inventory / stores, equipment and supplies
- Work according to an agreed work plan and daily goals set by the line manager (s). Prioritize work, deal with activities / requests / incidents as they arise, work independently without reference to a line manager or supervisor, using standard procedures and initiative.
- Assist with all aspects of health and safety and understand the regulations governing laboratory work, including the safe disposal of chemicals, biohazards and radioactive materials, management and enforcement of work practices sure
- Implement environmentally sustainable local practices, following the King’s sustainability audit process, where applicable. Collaborate with colleagues to share good practices and support broader sustainable initiatives and suggest new ideas where you see improvements could be made.
- Contribute ideas to improve current working methods and procedures
- Facilitate an inclusive culture and ethics by working with academic, research and other professional services staff and colleagues outside of King’s.
- Form a network of contacts to provide support and share best practices.
- Solve common and complex problems that arise in local service by putting mechanisms in place to minimize future problems. Help your less experienced colleagues make local operational decisions on a daily basis.
- Communicate, both orally and in writing, complex information clearly and precisely.
- Contribute to transversal initiatives School / Faculty / University
- Interpret and evaluate data.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the incumbent will be required to undertake the duties and responsibilities reasonably expected in the context and classification of the position.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. Minimum level 3 qualification or equivalent professional experience.
2. Practical instruction and laboratory experience.
5. Understanding of health and safety legislation, knowledge of human tissue law and working with human bodies.
6. Good planning and organizational skills.
7. Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office packages
8. Ability to learn new techniques.
9. Good team worker.
10. Manual handling
1. Commitment to professional development such as RSciTech
2. Able and willing to provide support beyond core hours as required
3. Experience in supervising / advising less experienced colleagues such as apprentices.
The selection process will be done by application and interview via Microsoft Teams.
This position is subject to authorization from the Disclosure and Prohibition and Occupational Health Service.