Elden Ring Ashes Of War: How To Get New Weapon Abilities
One of the main characteristics of combat is the Ring of Elden Ashes of War, which allows players to replace their weapon skills with powerful abilities more to their liking. Ring of Elden gives the player more options than any previous soulsborne when it comes to combat, and Ashes of War is an important aspect of this because of how players can specialize their builds. If you need an explanation of the Ring of Elden Ashes of War, including what they do and how to find them, we’ve got you covered.
Elden Ring Ashes Of War: what are they doing?
Ashes of War are special items you can discover that allow you to override weapon skills and affinities on your gear, meaning you can select skills more relevant to your build and class. These only apply to weapons and shields, but unique weapons that you’ll often earn from bosses or questlines won’t be able to have their skills replaced. Some skills are also incompatible with others, but this is communicated on the menu allowing them to be selected.
In addition to allowing you to use new skills with your weapons and shields, replacing your Ashes of War can also change the damage type and level scaling of gear. Overall, this means players can specialize the gear they use to suit their builds more, while learning more powerful skills to make you tougher in battle.
To change your war ashes, you must first obtain an item called the Whetstone Knife from the Gatefreont Ruins in Limgrave. When entering the open world for the first time, you will quickly find this area after traveling north and following the Lost Grace sites. To revert any grace lost afterwards, there should be an additional option for Ashes of War where you can replace your gear skills. You can also remove Ashes of War by selecting the “disenchant” option in this menu, and interacting with blacksmiths like Master Hewg in the Roundtable Hold or Iji near the Carian Manor will allow you to duplicate them for use with other weapons .
Elden Ring Ashes Of War: where to find them?
Like most things in Ring of Elden, Ashes of War can be found across the world by killing enemies, looting corpses and chests, or buying them directly from vendors. They also spawn in set locations, meaning there’s no randomization element, so if you know where one is, you can go find it.
The toughest bosses and enemies usually drop Ashes of War upon death, and many of the Ring of Elden The Golden Scarabs you can find will also reward you for this. Knight Bernahl who is in the Warmaster’s Hut in Limgrave is an excellent merchant for Ashes of War throughout the game, so finding him early can give you plenty of options.
- If you’re having trouble with any of the bosses in the game, check out how to use spirits and make fighting easier with Elden Ring Spirit Ashes.
Elden Ring Ashes Of War: Best Ashes Of War
Below, we’ll list some of our favorite Ashes of War in the game, along with a rough guide to finding them.
- No Skill – This allows you to remove a skill from your shield, so you can use the skill with your primary weapon instead, which is good for prioritizing damage over defense. It is sold for 600 runes by Knight Bernahl.
- Ring of Elden Bloodhound Step – Gives you a quick dash move that’s great for dodging enemies and avoiding damage with his invincibility frames. Can be earned from a Night Cavalry boss in Lenna’s Rise in Caelid.
- Bloody Slash – Coats your blade in blood before launching a projectile at enemies. Found in East Limgrave by defeating Fort Haight Commander.
- Seppuku – Perform Seppuku (stab yourself in the stomach) and increase your weapon’s attack power and blood loss. Dropped by an invisible Scarab near Lost Grace in Frozen Lake.
- Storm Blade – Launches a whirlwind towards enemies that damages and knocks them back. Found in the Murkwater Catacombs after defeating the Grave Warden.
This is our summary of Ring of Elden Ashes of War, and now you know what they are for, as well as how to find them.
Take a look at our Elden Ring map shards, so you know where to unlock the full map.