Featured Local Job: Cook :: exploreClarion.com
Clarion County Jail currently has an opening for a part-time cook.
POSITION: Cook, regular part-time, 56 hours per pay, (Saturday-Tuesday)
DEPARTMENT: County Jail, Clarion, Pennsylvania
PAY LEVEL: Starting rate of $12.00/hour
BENEFITS: Up to family coverage for health, dental, and vision insurance effective the first of the month following date of hire (employee pays 12.5% of premium, county pays 87.5%). $1,500 allowance if you do not need county insurance. No-cost life insurance coverage for employees. 5 vacation days the first year, 10 vacation days from the second year, 3 personal days per year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays. Enrollment in the Clarion County Pension Plan (vested after 5 years, eligible to retire at age 55 with 20 years of service).
DATE DISPLAY: Wednesday, February 23, 2022
DEADLINE TO APPLY: March 9, 2022 at 4 p.m.
HOW TO REGISTER: A county application and a copy of your transcripts are required to be considered for the advertised vacancy.
Applications are available at: www.co.clarion.pa.us/how_do_i/apply_for/employment_opportunities/index.php
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE JOB:
Perform cooking duties including preparing meals and assisting in the preparation of prison food in accordance with sanitation and infection control policies and procedures. Supervise the care, custody and control of inmates assigned to the kitchen.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB:
- Observe inmate activities in the kitchen and report any unusual behavior or needs
- Performs safety checks of equipment and tools
- Opens, unlocks and turns on all equipment
- Prepares and cooks food and menu selections
- Cleans and washes food and places items in appropriate utensils or storage containers
- Operate ovens, stoves, steam tables and other kitchen equipment as required
- Follows recipes and prepares meals
- Washes and cleans utensils, pots, pans and kitchen equipment
- Assist with fire drills and any other special duties
- Help bring food to various units of the facility
- Performs assigned Correctional Officer duties as required
- Attends meetings, training or services as needed
- Performs other job related duties as required
Supervises the care and custody of inmates assigned to the kitchen.
Receives frequent to occasional instruction and some supervision from the manager.
- Operates in adequate workspace, lighting, and ventilation, but with temperature fluctuations
- Frequent exposure to noise and disturbances and little stress
- Normal indoor exposure to dust/dirt
- Potential exposure to extreme heat, steam, burns, falls or cuts
- Works under conditions of potential outbursts of disruptive behavior from inmates
- Subject to shifts or on-call duty according to the schedule
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Must possess the ability to record, transmit and present information, explain procedures and follow instructions
- Must be able to stand, walk for extended periods throughout the work day, with intermittent periods of bending, twisting, bending, pushing, pulling and reaching as necessary to perform work tasks
- Dexterity requirements range from simple movements to coordinated finger/hand movements; feet/legs; torso needed to perform job duties
- Medium duty, with frequent lifting/carrying of objects weighing up to fifty pounds
- Must have agility to be able to move frequently throughout the workday
- Must be able to react quickly physically and mentally in the event of a physical disruption or outbreak
- Must be able to read and follow simple standard recipes
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE):
Possess a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as the ability to read, follow instructions and lift fifty (50) pounds. Must be able to successfully acquire a Department of Corrections training certificate.
One year of cooking experience in a restaurant or establishment is preferred.
- Must work with employer to seek clearance of criminal history from Law 34 PA State Police. All clearances must reflect acceptable results.
- Must not appear on exclusion lists as defined by “Pennsylvania Medical Assistance Bulletin 99-11-05 Verification of Employee and Contractor Providers for Exclusion from Participation in Federal Care Programs health”.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to speak and understand the English language in an understandable manner to perform essential job functions
- Must be able to read and follow instructions and assist in training new employees or inmates
- Must be able to learn how to operate and operate kitchen equipment safely and accurately
- Must possess the ability to maintain personal cleanliness
- Must possess the ability to learn food preparation and serving methods and practices
- Must possess the ability to follow and use quality control standards
- Must have basic math skills and be able to weigh ingredients and prepare required entrees and help record inventory and supplies
HOW TO REGISTER:
A county application is required to be considered for the advertised vacancy. Applications are only accepted for positions in which the county is actively recruitment. Applications received for non-advertised positions or general/global applications will be rejected.
Please send your application to:
Administrative building, second floor
330 Main Street
Clarion, PA 16214
Applications are available:
- Online by visiting: www.co.clarion.pa.us/how_do_i/apply_for/employment_opportunities/index.php
- In person by visiting the Clarion County Human Resources Office on the 2nd floor of the Administration Building located at 330 Main Street, Clarion, PA 16214
- By fax or e-mail. You should contact the Clarion County Human Resources office by calling 814-226-4000 EXT 2909 to share your email address or fax number.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Wednesday March 9, 2022, at 4 p.m.
CLARION COUNTY IS A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE A SPECIAL ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY SHOULD CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT 814-226-4000 EXT 2909 FOR ASSISTANCE.
Copyright © 2022 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the content of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.