Nearly 8 in 10 consumers make travel choices based on representation in tourism advertising
New data released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the global travel advertising platform connecting marketers to millions of travelers across Expedia Group brands, shows consumers are paying attention to inclusion current travel offers when searching and booking. Although the travel industry has made progress, continuous improvements are needed across the industry. Only 54% of consumers said they’ve seen options that are accessible to all abilities, and only 52% have seen options that include all types of travelers.
A travel brand’s commitment to inclusion, diversity and accessibility influences consumers’ purchasing decisions, with 7 in 10 consumers saying they’re willing to pay more when making a travel choice. more inclusive travel for all types of travelers. Additionally, 78% of consumers said they made a travel choice based on promotions or advertisements that they believe represented them through messaging or visuals.
The Inclusive Travel Insights Report: Understanding Traveler Values & Opportunities for Marketers, builds on recent findings on eco-friendly travel highlighted in the Sustainable Travel Study, revealing that people are looking for more and more ways to have more meaningful and mindful travel experiences.
“At Expedia Group, we understand the importance of not only practicing inclusion within our teams and across our brands, but also empowering our travel advertising partners to do the same,” said Jenn McCarthy. , Senior Director of Brand Marketing at Expedia Group Media Solutions. . “Our findings show that today’s consumers pay close attention to whether travel brands demonstrate a genuine commitment to inclusion, diversity and accessibility. A better understanding of how people view and value inclusive travel will help foster more inclusive and diverse travel experiences for everyone.
• 92% of consumers agree that it is important for travel suppliers to meet the accessibility needs of all travellers.
• Older generations are more likely to believe accessibility is very important when making travel decisions, among 54% of Baby Boomers and Gen Xers, compared to 49% of the general population.
Diversity in travel
• 7 out of 10 consumers would choose a destination, accommodation or transportation option that is more inclusive for all types of travellers, even if it is more expensive.
• 78% made a travel choice based on representation in travel advertisements, promotions or advertisements that they felt represented them through messaging or visuals, and for millennials this figure is the highest high (84%).
Local culture and community engagement
• 64% of consumers want to know more about travel options that support local cultures and communities.
• More than 2 in 5 consumers have made purchases from local communities and/or minority groups while traveling in the past two years, while 46% have visited local cultural or historical sites.
• Almost two-thirds of consumers would choose a travel option that supports local cultures and communities, even if it were more expensive.
• Be thoughtful in representing a variety of perspectives and put together diverse images, recognizing that diversity can include races, genders, ages, families, couples, abilities, activities, and more.
• Use inclusive, welcoming and respectful language in all marketing and travel listings, while also highlighting amenities and accessibility for travelers of all backgrounds and abilities.
• When using video, use closed captions and subtitles, and use legible fonts and contrasting colors to ensure the content can be read by everyone.
For additional global insights into what consumers think about inclusive travel and whether travel brands can accommodate all travelers equally, download the full Inclusive Travel report. Expedia Group also recently released its annual Global Impact Report outlining the company’s efforts to help the travel industry be more accessible, equitable and sustainable.
Check out the Media Solutions blog and connect on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights from personalized research and over 70 petabytes of exclusive global travel intent and demand data from Expedia Group.
Research Methodology – Conducted in partnership with Wakefield Research, the study included an online survey of 11,000 representative general population adults aged 18+ in 11 global markets – Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, United Kingdom and United States – aligned between February 11 and March 6, 2022.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising organization of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that enable brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world . Through its extensive network of leading travel brands and global outlets, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with exclusive, data-driven insights into traveler behaviors at every stage of the purchase journey, as well as solutions dynamic advertising, to offer strategic and measurable campaigns. results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
© 2022 Expedia, Inc., an Expedia Group Company. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50