Program Officer – Inclusion Works
Title: Program Officer – Inclusion Works
Location: Accra, Ghana
Contract: CDD of 2 years
Salary: local terms and conditions apply
Sightsavers works in more than 35 countries to prevent avoidable blindness, treat neglected tropical diseases and promote the rights of people with disabilities. As part of our social inclusion portfolio, we design and implement different interventions to provide a solution that enables accessibility and meaningful participation of people with disabilities in the education, health and labor market system.
About the role
As a program officer, you will work to improve the quality of the project which focuses on the economic empowerment of people with disabilities through formal employment. You will ensure that the program is planned, implemented, monitored and evaluated to the highest possible quality standards.
The main duties and responsibilities of the Program Officer include:
- Identify partner organizations that Sightsavers can work with to achieve the program and organizational strategic goal of ensuring people with disabilities have equal rights and opportunities through service delivery and advocacy.
- Build effective partner relationships and support longer-term relationships that extend beyond the duration of the project.
- Work with the Program Management Unit (PMU) and other funding partners to coordinate the implementation of activities and the sharing of lessons learned.
- Manage all aspects of the program cycle with partners, including effective planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial and asset management, reporting and documentation.
- Assist program partners in the preparation of budgets and forecasts
- Monitor the expenditure of project financial resources in liaison with the Financial and Support Services Manager (FSSM) and the Program Manager.
- Be proactive in providing high quality information on case studies and interesting program news to support the preparation of fundraising and advocacy materials for Sightsavers UK headquarters.
- Participate in all public relations activities related to social inclusion, e.g. World Sight Day, International Day of Persons with Disabilities, etc.
This is a very varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of tasks or job skills required. Please see the job description for more details.
As the successful candidate, you will have previous work experience and a degree in social sciences, education, development studies, public health, or any other relevant field.
Requirements of the job holder
- Adequate understanding of national disability legislation, the labor market system and working relationships with disabled people’s organizations is desired.
- Significant program implementation experience, including experience in the disability sector and gender mainstreaming.
- Experience in designing, managing and delivering advocacy work for social inclusion/disability programs.
- Experience providing technical assistance to other organizations.
- Knowledge of current issues and best practices in disability, UNCRPD, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and employment.
Deadline: June 5, 2022
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place from the week of June 13, 2022 and the assessment process will include a written assignment and an oral interview.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application through our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in knowing your motivations for applying.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a confident leader in disability and qualified people living with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.