Research Laboratory Director job at KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
(Director of Research Laboratories) – (
Objective of the position
The Director of Research Laboratories is responsible for managing and overseeing all functional and strategic planning of the University’s physical research infrastructure and developing the physical laboratories into world-class facilities that support high-quality research and attract external collaborators.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Lead the formulation of the department’s strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Develop departmental policies and procedures, adhering to the general business objectives of the University, ensuring that they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Develop and manage the budgets of the Department; monitor budget execution and report on a timely basis to ensure discrepancies are addressed promptly.
- Responsible for managing and overseeing all functional and strategic planning of the physical research infrastructure and the development of laboratories into world-class facilities to support high-quality research and attract collaborators and external funding.
- Formulate and implement short and long term goals for the operation and improvement of central and shared research laboratories.
- Project future needs in coordination with relevant research and academic leadership and formulate strategies consistent with projections.
- Oversee the implementation and review of policies and procedures applicable to all physical laboratories including, but not limited to, servicing and maintenance of equipment, handling and disposal of materials and supplies , as well as lab usage fees and chargeback accounting.
- Establish policies and procedures applicable to chargeback / chargeback accounting for the use of research laboratories, in accordance with leading practices and legal compliance.
- Establish and manage the framework and rationale for University-wide shared equipment policies and procedures applicable to all physical laboratories.
- Manage the University’s budget for physics laboratories and support staff, including preparing annual budget requests and overseeing expenses.
- Oversee expenses for core central laboratories and faculty capital and operating expenses.
- Contribute to the development of university-wide spatial planning activities, by serving on the spatial planning committee.
- Interface with faculty to determine research space needs and preferences.
- Actively lead personnel, service and equipment programs that will increase laboratory utilization and foster collaboration within the University as well as with external industrial and academic partners.
- Work closely with the Facilities Department to support efficient operations, including routine support services, installation of new equipment and laboratory renovations.
- Work closely with the purchasing department to support the effective and efficient acquisition of research equipment and supplies.
- Supervise subordinates to ensure adherence to established practices, implement new policies and keep employees abreast of changes and applicable standards. Ensure laboratory technicians and engineers are properly trained in standard operating procedures (SOPs) and specific equipment requirements.
- Work with directors of institutes and centers to organize faculty into functional committees to address areas of research infrastructure support aligned with management objectives.
- Coordinate the activities of various teams to ensure that space is allocated and used in a way that supports the long- and short-term research goals of the university.
- Establish and manage storage programs to increase access to commonly used consumables and parts.
- Review and provide solutions to compliance issues within the University related to laboratory operations
- Ensure compliance with University information security policies and procedures and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as required.
- Perform any other task assigned by the line manager.
- Provide coaching, advice and mentoring as needed to improve internal team capabilities and ensure achievement of established goals and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses according to predetermined training needs, assess their effectiveness and monitor their results.
- Perform performance reviews for subordinates according to scheduled schedules and recommend necessary actions according to applied practices.
- Hold periodic meetings with your subordinates to make sure the priorities are clear and the workflow is running smoothly.
- Monitoring of administrative matters of employees such as vacation, leave and other administrative and related matters.
- A master’s degree in a related field, preferably a doctorate.
- A minimum of 14 years of experience directly related to the specified tasks and responsibilities, of which 5 years should have been in a managerial position, preferably in higher education.
If you need further assistance or have a problem with the online application, please do not hesitate to contact the recruitment team ([email protected]).
Main location: KUK – Khalifa University
Type of employment: Fulltime