San Jose Planning Policy Manager – San Jose, CA, US | Works
San JosÃ©, California, United StatesSite:
Tue 19 Oct 21Posted on:
SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR strives to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region where everyone thrives. We bring together people from all political backgrounds to develop solutions to the big problems facing cities. With offices in San Francisco, San JosÃ© and Oakland, we are recognized and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
SPUR is seeking candidates for the newly created position of San JosÃ© Planning Policy Manager. SPUR believes in the power of good planning to create vibrant and equitable cities and communities, and strives to make neighborhoods safe and welcoming for all. The San JosÃ© Planning Policy Director leads SPUR’s work on planning in San JosÃ©. This role is an opportunity to lead important work in one of the most influential public policy organizations in the Bay Area and San JosÃ©.
This role is perfect for someone with a deep knowledge of the public policy process in San JosÃ© and a passion for helping San JosÃ© become a more prosperous, sustainable and equitable city. Applicants must have professional training in town planning, land use planning, landscape architecture and / or urban design. This position reports to the Director of Urban Planning Policy.
This role includes important policy research, writing and analysis, as well as strategic thinking, effective advocacy, community engagement and coalition building. This role involves meaningful collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to develop political ideas and strategy and to effect policy change in San JosÃ©. This role requires excellent project management skills, experience in engaging with funders and the general public. This role also serves as an ambassador to local government staff, elected officials, business and community leaders, and staff of other civic organizations.
The San JosÃ© Planning Policy Officer will help lead SPUR’s work on projects such as the Guadalupe River Park and Guadalupe River Park Gardens focus in the future of downtown San JosÃ©. , a 15-minute fair district plan for San JosÃ©, a vision for the Coleman corridor neighborhood, the future of the Diridon station area and downtown west, a plan to keep the promise of urban villages , a community plan for a Reid-Hillview serving the community, and much more.
- The candidate should have experience in drafting, advocating and carrying out policy changes in the area of ââcommunity planning.
- The candidate should be well versed in the major community planning policy issues affecting American cities today. Knowledge of San JosÃ© issues and institutions is highly desirable.
- The candidate must have professional training in town planning, land use planning, landscape architecture and / or urban design. Technical design skills would be preferred.
- The candidate should be a seasoned writer and researcher, able to make complex policy issues interesting and understandable to a general audience.
- The candidate should have experience in promoting policy change.
- The position requires strong meeting facilitation skills and the ability to work well with people from all sectors of the community and build diverse coalitions and consensus to achieve political results.
- The candidate must have experience in the effective management of projects.
- The candidate should have experience in seeking funding for their work.
- The candidate should have both high emotional intelligence and relationship management skills as well as strong quantitative reasoning skills and an ability to interpret and explain data, quantitative methods, trends and summary numbers.
- Either a master’s degree in public policy, urban planning or a related field, or a minimum of five years of equivalent experience is preferred.
- Verbal fluency or advanced fluency in Spanish is a plus.
We are looking for someone who has a background in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and / or has a demonstrated ability to work across differences. The candidate must be committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and demonstrate this commitment in their policy, facilitation, advocacy and management responsibilities.
The salary range for this position is $ 75,000 to $ 100,000 and will be based on experience and commensurate with skills and qualifications. This is a full time exempt position. SPUR offers a generous and comprehensive benefit package.
How to register
Please submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Applicants must apply before submitting their documents to this link.
SPUR is an employer guaranteeing equal opportunities with a strong organizational commitment respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or candidate for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. With this in mind, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBT applicants and others who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified applicants with disabilities can participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of any special requirements at the time of request.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, tasks and skills required of the personnel so assigned.